In general context, immense and with a lot of involvements, as that of the fighting and the limitation of murine emergence in a broad sense, I will contain to consider only the sights that regard the food processing industries, that is the protection of the foodstuffs in very phase of the processing, from the condition of the material to the condition of the completed product, packaged and ready to be directed to the human usage.
This is certainly a special and delicate context in which a certain way of operate, that can have a meaning in occasion of Pest controls, and in a lot of other situations, in the case it is beyond every responsible logic of applicability and we must absolutely necessary to give maximum importance to other openings and other logics of intervention with a revolution and convincement that can find a lot of difficulties and can be acquired by responsible persons.
And before being more explicit about that into enough rapidly periods, in my opinion, will must be the only possibility and the only reasoning logic for an effective defence of the food processing industries, I must also remind to a basically consideration, of a more general value and that already said in other occasions.
THE TECHNIQUE OF THE BAITS
Still today, when everything from sometime develops n the base of continuous technical innovations, sometime very sophisticated, is bothering to ascertain how it is ancestral, firmly persistent, fundamentally unchanged and by far prevailing the method followed for solving the problem of the infesting rodents where the human being lives and performs his activities: in other words this is to make assume to those animals, in suitable quantities and diffusing and camouflaging it in a substance considered appetizing, a toxic principle that, alternating seriously some physiological mechanism, can cause the death n more or less short periods.
All that in days, more and more nearest to us can have represented some appearance of progression and does not have regarded the substance of the same criterion, but only the availability of more effective and active ingredients, differentiated by new mechanisms of action and under some safer aspects, and a more responsible use of them.
Afterwards there is to observe that this approach concern all the civilized world and upon this, it prosecutes to order the section of the phrase of active ingredients, and of baits, of those that design, realize and distribute devices that should render more ecological and effective the application, of the pest control companies, all of those that perform the rule of experts, of consultants, except for those who suffer for the rodents’ problem and never will be solved in satisfying measure.
Meanwhile, ever talking at a general level, the alternative to the realization of serious and consistence prevention intervents against infestations (with all the consequences that it can assumes in various contexts), that constitutes an essential chapter in every manual of fighting against rodents (and it should represent a fundamental integration also in the case of need of using the chemical instruments) it never had found and it continues to net find a suitable contemplation and it does not have been understand in its real meaning, so it remains a pure option that we are indisposed t seriously realize, above all because it involves noticeable investments when the problem that it must prevent is not already raised.
After having done this consideration of general feature I would assert with the maximum convincement that it is the way of proceeding (Toxic baits handled with various protective structures and low and non-existent prevention) can find an already rational and permanent use in a lot of other anthropic areas, it finds at this point growing difficulties to be accepted and useful applicated in the sector of food industries.
In this specific context, as a matter of fact, over the ever more imperative and also specific exigencies from the public opinion on the subject of foods’ sanitariness (that already for itself means legislative sanctions ever more limitative and binding), all a series of inconsistencies and limits that distinguish the toxic baits and their use (although limited to the more external areas) it leaves reasonably discern their abandonment within enough rapid periods and the reliance to the exclusive defence against prevention works. Works strictly executed in the phase itself of designing of buildings, further back that the infestations rise up, and so, exclusively depending on the conviction, on the foresight and on a policy of enough investments of entrepreneurs – productors of foods. The awareness that in the specific area the things are evolving in this way is by now more and more scattered than it is in the reality, for clear commercials reasons, it is not openly expressed.
What has still further strengthened my opinion in this way has been also the fact that for the first time, into an international context, that has been the Conference just ended, it happened to me to clearly gather, in the relationships of exponents of two big and stronger societies involved to some years ago in a specific promotion of new Toxic baits, the awkwardness, in regard to food industries, of being excessively insistent upon the use of chemical device, and the decision of hurrying a larger attention for preventing actions or, at least, to the use of some alternative means which legitimacy is by now to demonstrate. I want also add that a lot of representatives of companies that offer pest control services and that, when the results are not what they have been awaited, they are the first of being under indictment whether by those that request he services or by possible their counsellors, they are the first to understand and lament of the difficulties they are going up to, above all for the low maintenance of the buildings or for a not meticulous or improper cleanliness: all sights that often frustrate their engagement.
THE EMPLOYMENT OF TOXIC BAITS
Anyhow it remains established, that the exclusive of toxic materials at least by the establishments where are manipulated and stored foods is already a practice used from sometime and a condition claimed by whom that are nominated to guarantee and/or verify a suitable condition of being sanitary of the places of production. In regards of my proposition, whereas, expressed by me with the regards to the fact of assigning the use of toxic baits only to the realization of parametrical belts more or less external to the buildings can create a lot of problems than we think to solve (convincement considered by me only in the occasion of specific and recent experiences), it is suitable to adduce as ulterior explanation:
- These parametrical belts can be realized only with the baits on an active and anticoagulant principle and they must result distributed at regular intervals, in proper holders, all around the building to protect. The interception of these baits on the part of mousse and/or rats that approach to the building should happen before they can come into through some gate. As a matter of fact n the majority of cases it happens that the persistent action (in other words in a few delayed measure) by the anticoagulant supposing that it is assumed a lethal dosage, anyway it agrees to intoxicated subjects of reaching the building, of penetrating into it and dieing in the inside:
- Then it is been unequivocally that a good part of the toxic material, disposed into protective holders that are subjected to an extended solar exposition, it appears rapidly degraded and rendered unusable by the high temperatures that are determined in the inside of the holders;
- A further trouble for the baits putted in the peripheral places or the external of these places arise from the fact that in some seasonal phase they are subjected to a significant usage and a clean heaviness of the desirability from a jumble of invertebrate animals that are attracted, they are not intoxicated and finish to assist to the increase of their populations near the buildings from which is suitable they are rejected.
CHANGE THE SYSTEM
In the case of food industries the early distinguished limitation of the chemical means (depending on a series of factors and some of them are just illustrated), and this make me consider that is come the moment of supporting with convincement that the managers that want effectively guarantee for them the best possible protection must change completely the approach in front of the problem and bind in a radical action of “waterproofing” and adaptation of the internal and external structures of their production places.
It is palpable that the pursuit of this target is not simple and anyhow can’t happen in short times. For this reason is essential a headstrong and persistent persuade and that it starts from a lot of sources simultaneously.
This new approach, as well as this is not simply understandable and acceptable in the next future by all of the managers, it requests some investments for starting that are surely oppressive (also if they are largely satisfying into long times) and could result unbearable for a lot of them.
It is palpable that the ideal solution, on the line of this approach, should consist in the disposition of new buildings that, already in designing phase, had been forecasted actions, materials and foresights such as to result good to forbid, at any level, the penetration of individuals with the dimension of a common Mouse. As a matter of fact we are a really long way from this condition, because the managers already try to economize on the budget to destine for the limitation of actions for curing and could reduce the problem of infestations existing and the idea to build new buildings mouse proof is very distant to be taken under review.
Actually, then, for what I know does not exist, personnel who project the disposition of essential basis notions that could really permit to them to understand which are the technical solutions and the idoneous materials for permitting a real exclusion of these animals.
At this point I can finish with these assertions:
- In the sphere of the defence of the foodstuffs the fight against rodents won’t ever be able to carry to satisfying and also permanent results till the human being will search the solution only in the employment rodenticidal baits (thing that fundamentally is what today is largely done). Factors of biological nature are too much and frequently impassable, and also of comportamental and chemical nature that limit or heavily invalidate the success of this technique; 2) a suitable protection of our goods we will have only actions and measures opportunely and specifically projected, that practically guarantee and effective inaccessibility of rodents when they come into contact with these goods, at any cost. Essentially we talk about the important part of the prevention chapter that hopes for the pursuit of a real exclusion. Condition, this last one, that in the case of prosecuted for the buildings since their designing phase (and not as the consequence of a secondary readaptation) automatically would render useless the resort to toxic baits;
- It is evident that, these taxing and underlying considerations, can conduct to a new way of operating only in enough long times. It makes no difference whether to the moment remain all the same problem of ever that every day we must, in a way or another, face responsibility with the means that we have. Substantially it happens to frequently find in front of a limited incisiveness of the means commonly used and a continuous buffering of critical situations and problematical solutions that, with some engagement and determination could be also partially exceeded.
- At this resolution I have to point out that on the basis of these critical solutions also persist often, from the mangers, a good dosage of ignorance and disinterest for this problem. In fact, nearby the chronicle unsuitability of the buildings structures, exist (we must say it without reservations) reasons of psychological order or of orders more or less speculative, united to the attitude of a lot of managers (particularly bakers), above all little and middle, that conduct them to preserve, also today, a total or anyway reasonable ignorance about the real capacity of this kind of problem, or to have an excessive endurance or a limited attention toward the same, with the tendency, till it is possible to minimize it, if not when they are recalled to the reality from situations clearly uncommonly or from ineluctable rules enforced by some regulations.
In not less coincidence to this is associated also he maintenance of a substantial shortage of hygiene of the premises for the working and deposit of raw materials and completed product, thing that a lot of managers do not consider and do not modify. For this reason, on the base of what has happened to me to understand in these last periods in different Italian regions, as a decisive conclusion I observe that neither the already famous government decree issued under parliamentary delegation number 155/97 about the self-control in he food industries (HACCP system), that determine the identification and the management of chemical, physical and biological risks in the sphere of them, and that certainly can give a valuable contribution also to the considerable reassessment of the specific problem of the rodents and that can have till today affected in a revealingly way on this attitude.
It seems that this thing depend on the fact that the same check-up of the inspectors of the ASL remains at the moment fact fairly aleatory and, in this case, with valuations often not in keeping among province and province.
Sorry, nothing found.