MITES OR ACARINA DISINFESTATION
The “Acarina” or most commonly known as Mites are part of the species of persistent or temporary parasites of plants and animals.
The species of Mites or Acarina known are about 30.000, they do not exceed 3 mm in length. We can find mites in every environment either civilized or natural.
Mites are divided in the following families:
- acari Acaridae
- acari Ixodidae
- acari Argasidae
- acari Sarcoptidae
- acari Psoralgidae
- acari Psoroptidae
- acari Demodicidae
- acari Pyroglyphidae
- acari Chortoglyphidae
- acari Glycyphacidae
- acari Laelaptidae
- acari Micronyssidae
- acari Dermanyssidae
- acari Trombiculidae
- acari Trombididae
Most known mites, the dust mites, belong to the families of Pyroglyphidae which are divided in two species: American mite Dermatophagoies farinae huge and European mite Dermatophagoies pteronyssinus.
ENVIRONMENTS WHERE THEY LIVE IN
Dust mites live in civil environments where both people and animals live in. Dust mites, we can find in our houses, are the main cause for allergies of the respiratory system to set in, such as asthma and allergic rhinitis and less frequently dermatitis and conjunctivitis.
One of the causes of the mites growth in our environment is the air pollution increase.
WHAT THEY FEED ON
Mites, these very tiny parasites visible only under a microscope, feed on dandruff and dead skin particles naturally coming off from our body.
FAVOURABLE CONDITIONS FOR MITES PROLIFERATION
Dust mites form true and real colonies in hot-damp environments with a humidity over 60-70% and temperatures over 20°.
Therefore, to keep an environment as free as possible from mites, it is important to keep inside our houses, both in winter period – when the temperature of the room raises due to the heating system – and with the arrival of the hot season, a temperature and humidity not higher than the values above indicated.
The mites’ proliferation occurs even because of the increasing of humidity and heat due to an extreme perspiration of our body.
WHERE DUST MITES MOSTLY CONCENTRATE
Dust mites particularly love clothes and natural materials which are commonly found in our houses, such as: wool blankets, pillows, quilts, mattresses, carpets, moquette, curtains, sofas, books, felts etc.
But the most concentration of dust mites we can find, is in our bed, due to the heat and humidity created during the night and then for the increasing of temperature and humidity in the same room.
ADVICES FOR THE PREVENTION OF DUST MITES INFESTATION.
- Check and keep the room temperature not higher than 20° and the humidity level lower or equal to 50-60%. We remind you that mites love hot-damp environments.
- Make a careful cleaning of the rooms using effective suction tools with proper filters or change them frequently.
- Wash frequently, with hot water and cleaner, floors and washable surfaces.
- Ventilate rooms frequently, but paying attention not to cause the increase of humidity.
- Expose to the air and sun your linen such as sheets, pillows and pillow cases, and periodically the mattress too. Dust mites are sensitive to light and doing so we will ease the elimination of a large part of the mites.
- Make the change of the bed linen at least every 15 days, washing it possibly in hot water at 60°.
- Avoid using when possible, especially in presence of allergic people, carpets, moquette and heavy curtains, all places where the most amount of dust settles. Since they are very difficult to keep clean and free from dusts they are places where we easily have mites infestations.
- For pillow cases and mattress covers it is recommended a material impermeable to the particles produced by mites, causing allergies, but however that allows perspiration.
Please, Contact us without any charge for our Professional Advice and/or a FREE ESTIMATE.